Area Emergency Crews Respond to Chlorine Leak at P&G
Plant operators at Proctor and Gamble (P&G) plant in Mehoopany Township noticed a smell of chlorine between 7:20 and 7:30 p.m. on Sunday evening. According to P&G community relations coordinator Alex Fried, the company's in-house hazardous materials and emergency response teams were activated, and Wyoming County EMS was notified.
Fire and ambulance companies from various communities responded to the alarms. Meshoppen Volunteer Fire Company and Mehoopany Ambulance went directly to the plant, while others, including numerous emergency responders from Tunkhannock, Forkston, Laceyville, Windham Township (Wyoming County), and Towanda were massed at a an incident command center near the intersections of Route 6 and Vosburg Road in Washington Township that was coordinated by Wyoming County EMA.
According to Fried, there were no injuries, and the incident was all but over by 9:30 p.m.
“They found the source of the leak, and the leak was shut down,” he related. Atmospheric emissions were minimal and limited to the confines of the plant. “There was no need for an evacuation, and all operations at the plant have resumed.” Fried noted that Wyoming County EMA is quickly involved whenever there is a recordable incident at the plant.
As of 9:45, Fried added, “We are finalizing our assessment of the situation and trying to determine why and how the leak occurred.”