2018-06-07 / Front Page

Fire Guts Lime Hill Home

David Keeler

Wilmot and Wyalusing Firefighters rip away aluminum siding to to let heat out of Steve Gary's burning house Monday afternoon. Photo by David KeelerWilmot and Wyalusing Firefighters rip away aluminum siding to to let heat out of Steve Gary's burning house Monday afternoon. Photo by David Keeler

A fire that broke out at about 3 p.m.  Monday gutted the Lime Hill (Wyalusing Township) home of Steve Gary, along Brewer Hollow Road.

A passing motorist, Rich Vanderwort, discovered the fire and alerted Gary 's neighbor, Pete Bell, who called 911. Gary was not home, nor was anyone else inside.

Vanderwort said he saw smoke coming from a window on the side of the two-story wood frame house.

Firefighters used a chainsaw to cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the structure and let heat out. The smoldering fire filled the house with smoke, likely causing extensive damage throughout.

Wyalusing Fire Chief Brandon Conner called Claverack to have the power shut down.

Along with Wyalusing, fire companies from Wilmot, Wysox and Laceyville responded, along with the Guthrie Ambulance.

More details as they become available.

 

Return to top

Copyright 2011-2018 Rocket-Courier. All rights reserved.