OldArchive / Good Old Days

Good Old Days

News items of timely interest from the old files of The WYALUSING ROCKET and reprinted as they were on July 6, 1981.

The new kitchen of the Wyalusing Methodist Church was recently dedicated. Joseph Baker and Rev. Jim Pall cut the ribbon at the ceremony.

Congratulations to Mason and Andrea Salsman Sterling on the birth of a baby boy last week. He has been named Shey and has a sister Rhaegan.

Navy Disbursing Clerk Second Class Mark D. Learn, son of James and Helen Learn of Route 2, Laceyville has returned from deployment to the Western Pacific.

***

Leslie Wizelman of Waverly has been admitted to the practice of law in the courts of New York at a recent ceremony in Albany.

The Class of 1971 met for their 10th reunion at the Wyalusing Legion with 120 attending. Class president, Brad Welles welcomed all present and conducted a short business meeting.

D. Louise Snyder graduated from the State University College in Buffalo, NY with a Bachelor Science degree in education. She is the daughter of Dorothy Culver and the late Orwyn Culver of Silvara.

 


 North Branch Canal AqueductThis photo, believed to have been snapped in the 1870’s offers a view of the aqueduct that carried the North Branch Canal across the Wyalusing Creek. The women with parasols are standing on the two paths where the mules that pulled the canal boats traveled. In the distance is the Wyalusing Presbyterian Church, which was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning. Welles Mill is in the distance on the left.  The aqueduct was located near where the railroad bridge crossing the creek is today. Information in the Rocket-Courier archives states the canal was likely closed when this photo was taken and work had probably started constructing a railroad through the region.  The canal ran from the Chesapeake Bay to near Ithaca, NY where it connected with the Erie Canal system.  Completed in 1854, the canal was plagued with problems and after a devastating flood in 1870 the canal eventually closed permanently. Railroad tracks that follow the Susquehanna were constructed on what had been the canal’s towpath.  North Branch Canal AqueductThis photo, believed to have been snapped in the 1870’s offers a view of the aqueduct that carried the North Branch Canal across the Wyalusing Creek. The women with parasols are standing on the two paths where the mules that pulled the canal boats traveled. In the distance is the Wyalusing Presbyterian Church, which was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning. Welles Mill is in the distance on the left.  The aqueduct was located near where the railroad bridge crossing the creek is today. Information in the Rocket-Courier archives states the canal was likely closed when this photo was taken and work had probably started constructing a railroad through the region.  The canal ran from the Chesapeake Bay to near Ithaca, NY where it connected with the Erie Canal system.  Completed in 1854, the canal was plagued with problems and after a devastating flood in 1870 the canal eventually closed permanently. Railroad tracks that follow the Susquehanna were constructed on what had been the canal’s towpath. 

Return to top

Copyright 2011-2014 Rocket-Courier. All rights reserved.