OldArchive / Good Old Days

Good Old Days

 

News items of timely interest gleaned from the old files of The WYALUSING ROCKET and reprinted as they were in the Dec. 24, 1981 issue.

Ray Tyler has been busy this holiday season making custom-made cradles in the wood shop in his home.

A great big welcome to the world to baby Sara Lu Kinda Michaels, new daughter of Joseph and Burnzella Sheldon Michaels of Laceyville. She was born on Dec. 14 at the Towanda Memorial Hospital.

Wyalusing Fire Company elects officers. Bob Zimba will serve as chief; Bill Smith, first assistant; Ruby Way, second assistant and Wayne Steele, third assistant.

***

A tractor-trailer loaded with approximately 18 tons of liquid propane slid into a ditch and then flipped over last Thursday morning at 5 a.m. The driver was making a delivery to the Farm & Home propane storage area near Wyalusing.

Most Rev. J. Carroll McCormick, Bishop of Scranton, came to Wyalusing recently for the re-opening of St. Mary’s Church. The church has recently been renovated.

 


 Downtown Wyalusing 75 Years AgoHere’s a look at downtown Wyalusing as it appeared during the mid 1930’s or early 40’s based on the cars on the street.  The white object on the right of the photo was a traffic blinker that likely caused more accidents than it prevented, thanks to its location squarely in the middle of the intersection. The American Stores market, seen on the right, was located where Mama D’s restaurant is today. Just beyond the American Stores market is a building that pre-dated what would eventually be replaced with Dibbles and later Honchell’s and Wyalusing Country Markets. It was likely home to Shaffer’s bakery at the time this photo was snapped. A new annex to the Wyalusing Hotel will soon be constructed at that location. Platt’s Shoe Store was located in the building just to the left of the center, where The Clothes Closet is today. An arrow points customers to the tap room at the Middendorf Hotel, located just out of view on the left. The photographer, who is unknown, left his shadow at the bottom of the photo. Downtown Wyalusing 75 Years AgoHere’s a look at downtown Wyalusing as it appeared during the mid 1930’s or early 40’s based on the cars on the street.  The white object on the right of the photo was a traffic blinker that likely caused more accidents than it prevented, thanks to its location squarely in the middle of the intersection. The American Stores market, seen on the right, was located where Mama D’s restaurant is today. Just beyond the American Stores market is a building that pre-dated what would eventually be replaced with Dibbles and later Honchell’s and Wyalusing Country Markets. It was likely home to Shaffer’s bakery at the time this photo was snapped. A new annex to the Wyalusing Hotel will soon be constructed at that location. Platt’s Shoe Store was located in the building just to the left of the center, where The Clothes Closet is today. An arrow points customers to the tap room at the Middendorf Hotel, located just out of view on the left. The photographer, who is unknown, left his shadow at the bottom of the photo.

Return to top

Copyright 2011-2014 Rocket-Courier. All rights reserved.